Sunday, October 10, 2010

Art Cars!

All photos taken by me




They had a grand re-opening of the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento today. Unfortunately it was so crowded that I could not enjoy the interior. I will have to go back again soon.

What I did enjoy was the shady, open, grass area right next to the Crocker. It was filled with cars. Art Cars. These cars were creative and amazing! They were cars transformed into designs of any subject matter that filled the designers heads. There was a lady bug, a butterfly, an angler fish, a giant Radio Flyer, and a squirrel infiltrated car (to name a few). Here were people who took inspiration from without, and created such a variety of spectacles that it was hard to stop looking. These people wanted to make their cars, art cars.

In some cars you could see where the inspiration started. The butterfly, for example, was a Volkswagon Bug. The play on the name of the car and the little rounded, playful shape was obviously what inspired this designer. The theme of nature was directly related to the idea of an insect. In addition, Volkswagon bugs are known for their bright colors, and the designer of this car utilized that fact in their design.

The angler fish car took it's inspiration from something less obvious. The grill of the car is where the teeth project from, and the eyes are the windshield. This is a common perception that humans have. We apply our (or other live creatures') features to inanimate objects. Grill and windshield become eyes and mouth.

Some cars were purely whimsical, and others sought to portray political agendas. These designs (and designers) were as varied as you could imagine, but they were all inspired by the desire to create an ART car.

Check out the website, there are a lot of other cars that I didn't even get to see!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, thanks for posting about this. I was really upset I couldn't go today because Leena had a softball tournament, but now I feel a little better since you said it was so crowded. Ugh, I hate crowds. Let me know next time you come up to go, and the kids and I will go with you, or just me and you and we'll have lunch. I'm interested to see the place since I was a little dissappointed in the concept designs. Love you...

    ReplyDelete