Saturday, November 6, 2010

Design Implementation: Brian Fies

Tools have a purpose. Design has many purposes. I think the ability of design to reach other people is amazing. Brian Fies was an inspiring speaker. His work has so much meaning. He used many tools of design to create a design tool. A tool that reaches people. To make a difference in this world is to reach people. By putting a smile on someone's face you can change the rest of their day, or week, or life. In my day to day routine I try to remember this and live by the knowledge that just being polite can help someone. Brian Fies has helped countless people with his book Mom's Cancer. His ability to realistically relate the feelings and problems that a family has as they go through cancer, has made me feel connected and understood. I am sure countless others have taken the same feelings with them after they have read this book. The feelings of guilt and anger, frustration and fear all combine to make a person feel very alone. My mother had cancer and was fortunate enough to survive, although her prognosis was dim. I went through a lot of these things. Brian Fies expresses these feelings with such clarity and humor. His devices make the story beautiful, touching, and real. The Frankenstein's lab scene infuses humor with serious fear, and conveys so much meaning by it's context and simplicity. His attention to detail and truth makes this story REAL. Thank you Brian Fies. You are an inspiration. I hope to one day inspire others in such a significant way.
Buy Mom's Cancer on amazon.com (I bought 2!)
Cover from Brian Fies book Mom's Cancer
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vniiiAEmL._SS500_.jpg
From amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment