Monday, November 1, 2010

Plackers Picked Apart

Image from Orbis Distribution Inc
http://www.orbisdistribution.com/products/

Looking at Plackers flossers I started thinking about sustainability and the toothbrush on Objectified. I decided a formal analysis of this simple little daily ritualistic piece of plastic could be an enlightening endeavor. The designer(S) have put a lot of thought and effort into the effortlessness of this simple device. I floss daily. It is very important to do, and thankfully the habit has stuck with me for over two years. It was a long road, though. Flossing is an easy thing to skip. Many people do. One thing that has made it easier is these nifty little Plackers. The ease of use as opposed to rolled and held floss is, for me, priceless. The size of the Placker is perfect for reaching the back teeth and fitting into the mouth. The span of floss leaves enough room to squeeze in between teeth. The angle that the head of the Plackers slants makes it easy to use. There is a textured portion of the handle to make gripping easier, and the tip of the handle is made to easily break apart leaving a pointy toothpick for those really annoying peices of food that you just can't get with floss. The fact that it breaks apart keeps the tip safely rounded until needed. The floss is shred resistant and comes in extra thin versions for tight teeth. They can be mint flavored, and the color is indicative of mint and has associations with cleanliness and good breath. The name Plackers is a clever name as well. Playing on plaque and plucker, the name  is perfect for the device.
As far as sustainability is concerned, these are not very "green." I was thinking that a refillable version could be an answer, but then I found that someone beat me to the punch. I will be looking into a more earth friendly version for myself. Here a few that I have found.
http://www.gripit.biz/index.cfm/id:44
http://www.flossgrip.com/index.html
http://www.goharmon.com/070942304085.html

If you don't floss you should! Plackers are cheap nifty little guys and can be bought anywhere for a couple of dollars. Good Design means form follows function.

No comments:

Post a Comment